Friday, May 26, 2006

Big Boy Bed Status Update

So how's the big boy bed going, you ask? Well, not too bad, although I'm VERY excited about catching up on some sleep over the 3 day weekend (I hope!!!).

The first few nights were rough, man! Night #1, mommy spent more than half of the night in there with him. Night #2, mommy still spent a few pre-dawn hours, but he made it most of the night by himself, with a few wake-ups. You know how you always think more clearly during the day? Well, I realized that I wasnt' doing either of us any favors, and needed to revert back to my cry-it-out mentality. Not making him cry, but rather, remembering that this is a healthy step towards growing up, and he needs to learn some indepedence here, and coddling him isn't helping, even though it's easier!
So, night #3 we started off with a little pre-bed peptalk. "Who's bed is this?". "James". "That's right, this is James' bed, and James sleeps here. It's a NICE bed! Mommy sleeps in mommy's bed, James sleeps in James' bed, ok?". "OK". We repeated this little chat each time he woke up, and he spent all of night #3 in bed by himself.

That's been pretty much the routine ever since. There's typically at least 1 nocturnal visit from James, either sobbing about something he's misplaced, or just climbing on up into bed. Either results in one of us quickly re-depositing him back into his room. We also had a brief streak of requests during these visits for Mommy to "rock? rock?" Haven't had these in the last two nights, though, so perhaps we're getting over the hump!

So, it's going as well as could be expected, I suppose, and other moms say it took them about 2 weeks to get into a groove, so we've got a few days yet. Here's to an uneventful and sleepy weeked! Happy Memorial Day!

No comments: