So James came to me for the first time this morning and said "Momma, poops", letting me know that he had a dirty diaper! Wow... what a HUGE breakthrough. This is a boy you normally only know needs to be changed when it hits you in the face (specifically, the nose). He does not care one bit about carrying around a little extra weight, and he will run away from you if you ask him if he needs to be changed. So for him to TELL me and let me change him is HUGE! So proud, and I told him this.
So, with my proud-momma-high lingering, we headed out to face the day. It was BEAUTIFUL.. sunny skies, slight breeze, 70s.. the kind of day that puts you in a good mood. Mind you, as this story unfolds, the day never really gets bad, it's just funny.
We're walking through Target (wow.. ever notice how many of my entries are set in this scene.. I think I've got a problem), James is in the cart and we're looking at toddler clothes. I step over one rack and he says "momma! momma!", I walk back over and say "yes?" and he says "pee pee!!!", and I realize that his hand is crammed down his pants all the way up to his elbow. For any of you thinking, "oh, another breakthrough.. now he's telling you he's wet", you're wrong. He was telling me that he'd found his little buddy and was having a blast. Niiiiiice. Mommy tried the ol' "pee pee's going night night right now.. take your hand out of your pants and tell pee pee night night"... he did, but then he'd look at me, wait to catch my eye, grin, and start to hitch up his shirt and head his hand down south again. I guess I gave it away... I let him know that I didnt' want him to do that instead of playing it cool, all "aw, it's all cool.. play with it if you want, Mommy doesnt' care"... reverse psychology only works if you don't cave and meet the behavior with a "What the heck are you doing in PUBLIC!?" kind of face. Dang.
No comments:
Post a Comment