Sunday, August 28, 2011

Corndog!

Yesterday, in the middle of Hurricane Irene, I ran a race. It was the first time for this race, and it was a really good one. Good shirts, good swag, and check this... FREE BEER! Yes, if you brought your bib into the restaurant sponsoring the race, you got a free beer. So of course we went there for dinner!

Now mind you, Sterling had made hot dogs for lunch that day, but when James saw corndogs on the dinner menu, he was on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich... or a 7 year old on a corndog! Sterling tried to convince him that he did not need ANOTHER hot dog, but James continued to lobby hard for the corndog, eventually just saying it over and over to get his point across (not as annoying as it sounds). Sterling told him, "James, every time you say 'corndog', I'm going to kiss you", which naturally led to a round of "corndog! corndog!" followed by less-than-gentle daddy kisses, complete with extra whiskers!

I'd forgotten all about it until I was putting James to bed tonight, and he asked (as always) for me to snuggle for a few. We chatted a little, then he got quiet, giggled a little, then said "corndog" and cracked up. I went, "whaa... OH!" and of course, had to start kissing like crazy. We both laughed for a minute, then he said, "you know, if I said that to Daddy, he'd say 'dude, I don't know what you're talking about'". So, I told James I'd send him in. I went to the other room where he was watching TV and told him what James said, and James had nailed it... at first Sterling said "corndog?". I reminded him about it, and of course he had to go down there and allow James to corndog him (yeah, that doesn't sound good, does it?). And that was that!

Show someone how much you love them with a good "corndog!"

No comments: