

Anatomy of the Big Day
What an exciting few weeks it's been! We welcomed James Sterling Woodruff into the world on March 8, 2004 at 3:03pm at Rex Hospital here in Raleigh. I'd had a feeling that weekend that the end of our journey was s imminent, so I'd logged on to work the Sunday before for about 5 hours to wrap up some last-minute stuff, and called my coworkers to let them know that I might not be in the office the next day. Sure enough, I was awoken at about 2am with contractions about 10 minutes apart. Since they didn't get any closer together, I figured I'd just stay in bed until they did... no point in waking up Sterling since we couldn't do anything until they were closer together anyway, and I figured at least one of us should get some sleep!He woke up for work at about 6am, at which point I told him I was having contractions. He asked, "what do you want to do?", to which I replied, "take a shower.". He obviously took this as a sign that I wasn't too worried about things and he started his day as he normally does. He shouted in to me while I was in the shower, "I hope you're not using up all of the hot water!". My response was, "I hope you don't think you're going to work today!". This must have caught him a bit off-guard, and he started timing my contractions. We then realized that since I'd started moving around, they'd decreased to about 5 minutes apart. We called the doctor, who told us she'd meet us at the hospital!Labor continued until about 2pm (with no drugs up until that point...hoo-ah!), at which point we realized that the contractions were not getting any closer together. James was also struggling a bit, so we decided to proceed with a C-Section. By about 2:30 we were in the OR, and James was pulled out at 3:03pm... I could hear the doctor on the other side of the curtain say, "well hey there, darling!". The entire staff at the hospital was wonderful, and although James had a bit of a rough start, and spent time in the Special Care Nursery, everyone took wonderful care of him and his parents, and we're all home, happy and healthy (and sleepy)!
Back at home...
So now we've had our little guy at home for a little over 2 weeks. Throughout most of the day he sleeps...well, like a baby! He also lets us sleep for almost 2 and 3 hours at a stretch! You can see from the pic that he's a real cutie pie, and we're all settling into the routine of being a new family!
No comments:
Post a Comment